Monday, February 4, 2013

Guinea pigs

About 2 and a half years ago I wanted to get two guinea pigs very badly... but did I really? My parents said that I could get some guinea pigs if I did some research on them first. Sounds pretty easy right? So, I got some books at the library and started to read about them. Let's just say I'm glad I didn't get them because this is what I took for notes: 


Blank, blank, blank, and blank.
So, does it really look like I "really" wanted guinea pigs? Not really. 

A couple years later I found my notes and showed them to my parents, of course they got a good laugh out of it like I did. 

Now I want to actually learn about them. I don't want to keep them as pets but I do want to learn about them. Here are some fact about what I learned:

-Guinea pigs aren't nocturnal like lots of rodents are.

-Unlike a lot of rodents, guinea pigs are born with their eyes open and a full coat of fur. Weird!


-Unfortunately guinea pigs, like other rodents and small animals, are experimented with for drug research.

-Like rats guinea pigs front teeth are always growing. They need  objects like wood blocks to keep their teeth in good health. 

-When happy, guinea pigs purr like a cat. 

-When guinea pigs get excited they sometimes "popcorn" around. This is when they jump a few inches in the air. They also run around in circles when they get excited.

-Guinea pigs can live for 4-6 years.

-Guinea pigs are very social animals. Make sure to give them lots of attention. 

-Guinea pigs are easy and fun top keep as pets. 

-Guinea rarely get sick. 

-You can teach guinea pigs how to do tricks. You can also teach them how to swim. They can be very good at it if you give the effort. 

Here is my drawing of a guinea pig:






1 comment:

grace said...

I like your drawing. The advantage of guinea pigs, it seems to me, is that they will be awake in the daytime when you are, so you could play with and train them more.