Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Starfish

Starfish
So yesterday I was goofing around (not very unusual!:D) I was pretending to be a Starfish. I was walking really slow. With my hands up and my tongue out. :D My eyes were closed. But every now and then I opened them to see where my mom was. I was planing on wrapping my sweet Starfish arms around her. ;)
Every time I opened my eyes she was in a different spot so I turned toward her. As you know Starfish are VERY slow creatures! When my mom saw that I was opening my eyes she said "You can't do that!! That's cheating." I said "No I'm not starfish can see." We weren't sure if they could or if they couldn't so my mom came up with a brilliant idea (as usual:D). To do a blog post on this. 
So, can they see? 
They can see! Although their vision isn't like ours. They can only see light and dark. They can't see detail.  
How many eyes do they have? 
They have one eye on each arm. So if they have 5 arms they have 5 eyes. If they have 40 arms they have 40 eyes! 
They way they eat:
They have a really strange way of eating things! If they are eating a creature with a shell. They tear the shell open just enough to eat them. They eat them by making their stomach come through their mouth. This makes them be able to eat things bigger than their mouthes really are!:o 
They can change sexes when ever they want or need to!! That is really strange! If they lose an arm they can regenerate it! That is so cool!! 
Here are some pictures of them:














2 comments:

grace said...

That is very interesting. And the pictures are very nice. I never knew there were so many beautiful colors in starfish.

Coco said...

Haha! Thanks grandpa!
Yeah It is really interesting!
me neither! Thanks guys!