Friday, March 22, 2013

Coco Chanel

Coco Chanel was born in 1883 in Saumur, France.
Before she died in 1971 in Paris, France, she was a fashion designer. She made such a huge impact on the fashion world that even today we use her designs. 

You wouldn't know it if you looked at her but she had a really tough time getting to where she was as a fashion designer. Her mom died from tuberculosis (an infectious disease) in 1895 when Coco was 12 years old. Her father, Albert Chasnel couldn't take care of his five children after their mother died. The solution for this was to put the two boys in an all boy orphanage and Coco and her two sisters into an all girl orphanage. 

During the 6 years Coco lived there she learned how to sew. She loved to sewing so much that she devoted her life to fashion designing. 

When she turned 18 she could go out and face the world on her own as an adult. After four years of her fashion career she started singing in concerts and cafes. She kept singing until she was 35 (1908). She got her name from a song she sang; it is called Qui qu'a vu coco. Here is a video of her singing it:



After her singing career she went back into fashion designing. This is when she got very famous for her designs.

In 1922, she released her first perfume, Coco Chanel No.5. You can still buy Coco Chanel perfume but it is very expensive. While making perfume and fashion designs made her quite successful in life, she closed her shops at the beginning of World War II. She said "it wasn't a time for fashion." This caused about three thousand female employees to lose their jobs. 

She served as a Nazi agent for the war. This is very surprising news to me and I'm sure it news to you too. I mean why would she work with jews if she hated them? I guess she just wanted control of the perfume business.

Why did I do a post about Coco Chanel?
My answer: 
It's related to my roller derby team.
I shall explain:
I need a name for my roller derby jersey. So I came up with a pun for my jersey:
Coco She-Nail
My number would have been No.5 named after the perfume.

I would have used this but then when I found out she was a Nazi agent my jaw dropped. I knew that if I kept her name and used it I would look like I was supporting the Nazis' hatred. And that would just be cruel. 

Now I have two different ideas for a name for my jersey name:
Teenage scream
or
Smack and cheese
Leave a comment to vote for the name you like best!!

Also, here is a drawing of Coco Chanel No.5 perfume. And on the side of that is a bleeding rose:


















Thanks for reading everyone, 
Coco
Tomorrow we have a game:
Hands in... One!! Two!! Three!! ...
Go Marionettes!!








No comments: