Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Barn Owl

Barn owl 
Latin name: Tyto alba

About two years ago I drew a  barn owl with my mom. At the time we were practicing using our "owl eyes". This is being able to see 180 degrees without moving our heads or our eyes. Once I drew the drawing everyone loved it. My mom love it so much that she got me to give it to her! Anyway the other day someone asked if they could buy it from me or at lease us it on her website. Of course she couldn't buy it from me because it wasn't mine anymore. My solution was to draw another one. When I drew the next owl I didn't want to give it away. I liked it too much to do so. What should I do?? I drew another owl! Man, it's like I know them in and out now!:D
Here are my three different barn owls:


This is the first one I drew back in 2011.
Here is the second one I drew about two days ago: (I'm going to offer her this drawing for $50. It will be completely hers.)

And last but not least here is the last barn owl that I drew: 

















Alright now let me tell you a little about these fellas. 

A male Barn owl weights 14-19 ounces. I know light right? The female can be a little more heavy: 17-25 ounces. 
Their body length on the other hand is 14-20 inches and their wing span is 3 1/2 feet long! Those are some big wings! 

They live for 3-4 years. They are nocturnal. At night when the come out to eat they swoop down about 10 feet from the ground and they look for food. When the find what they are looking for they dive hard onto the prey and pick them up with their long sharp claws. :/
Their favorite meal consists of small mammals or rodents like mice or rats. Sometimes if they can't find rats and mice they look for insects, birds, fish, reptiles. 

Reproduction: 
The male and female Barn owls try to find a good place for a nest. This can be in abandoned buildings and lots of other places too. Barn owls are monogamous meaning that they will only have one mate for their entire life.

Every year they go through a cycle of 3-4 reproduction cycles. They have on average 4-7 eggs but may have as many as 20! When the eggs hatch the mom and dad owls go on hunts for food. They take turns feeding their small babies. After about ten weeks the young owls can go and hunt on their own. They stay in the area and come back to the same nest to rest in every night. After about 3-5 months the children are on their own. 

Thanks for reading,
Coco
Good news everyone; my owl drawing sold! Yay!!

No comments: